Monday, February 28, 2011

This Feminist is heading South

That's right. International Women's Day falls on Mardi Gras this year and I am headed off to New Orleans to celebrate both.

My college pal and fellow Feminist K lives in a shot gun house in New Orleans, Louisiana. I fell in love with NOLA, esp. the French Quarter the first time I ever saw it. Now don't get me wrong, walking down Bourbon St. the one time I did made me feel outwardly yucky. Walking past middle aged men and women drinking mango daiquiris at 1:20pm in the afternoon whilst cheering at nothing and tripping over themselves is not something I would care to see often. However, the shops and boutiques, Cafe Du Monde on Decatur st, Gumbo at the Napoleon House, Pims cups, music everywhere and so many more things it is overwhelming me just thinking about it.

I am looking forward to having one Mardi Gras behind me already and I will keep my top on the entire time no matter what. I don't need to show anyone anything to earn anything. Besides, Mardi Gras to me is about dressing up, not undressing. There isn't any historical significance and it is only the spring breakers and tourists who think that exposing ones breast is a requirement for receiving throws from Mardi Gras floats. Locals stay out of the quarter on nights after big parades because Mardi Gras isn't about debauchery and topless women (okay, 1% of Mardi Gras is about debauchery and topless women).

No comments:

Post a Comment