Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pepsi pays tribute to the beautiful, the confident and the skinny.

Today I read several articles on the massive rape epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I read about Egypt and the protests that have been raging on for the last few weeks. I also checked up on Tunisia, thought about the coffee farmers in Nicaragua, checked into international volunteering, talked a bit about latte art and caught myself being asked directly why I don't consider woman's basketball to be a real thing for the first time ever (in theory not in practice). Yet, the nagging thought that wouldn't leave my head when I sat down to my computer this afternoon was WTF Pepsi??? Seriously, what the fuck?

Pepsi has changed their diet Pepsi can to a taller thinner can in "celebration of beautiful confident women." The new cans will be available in March and press releases noted that this cylindrical slender aluminum can is "sassier" then the old boring chubby soda can of the past. On top of everything in the entire world to pressure women into eating disorders, distorted body images and self loathing, Pepsi has to make their diet soda can skinnier. Moreover, this was the second most popular news story according to the Christian Science Monitor, right behind Mubarak refusing to step down.

It's mind boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment