Sunday, August 19, 2012

Todd Akin thinks Rapes don't make Ladies Pregnant

In an utterly disgusting display of ignorance and "fake speak", Republican Todd Akin of Missouri had this to say when asked about abortions in the instance of rape:

"It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare,” Akin said, referring to conception following a rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something, I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

What the &^%*!

I'd like him to further explain the term "legitimate rape" for one and secondly I would LOVE to know what he knows about the female body and the reproductive system in general.

This type of rhetoric is anachronistic and dangerous. There are people who will listen to what this man has said and think that maybe we shouldn't allow rape victims to get abortions because after all if it was a legitimate rape they wouldn't have let their body become pregnant.

I'm pretty sure they used that argument in mid evil Europe to defend rapists.

I'm also sure that rape victims who have gotten pregnant due to being raped would have an interesting perspective to offer this clueless man.

No comments:

Post a Comment