Friday, October 1, 2010

Tucker Max revisited

So tomorrow is the big day. I planned on taking a rare Saturday off in order to avoid the possibility of running in to Tucker Max at Porter Square Books but of course that wasn't possible. I am working a short 7-12p shift and then high-tailing it on out of there straight across the parking lot to the treadmill at my woman's only gym.

Though I still think out right protests are not the way to go in order to display contempt for the bottom feeding misogynist chauvinist that is Tucker Max, I have been further disheartened since writing last.

I think of young teenage boys who pick up either of Max's books, see him glorified as a huge prick and then go on thinking it's cool to be an asshole because you get laid all the time.

I admit that I have no sense of humor. I also don't think he writes well or about anything interesting. This is my opinion.

On his website he is asked why he thinks some people think he hates women. Here is the response:

"Of course not; quite the opposite, I love women. Everything I do is to impress women. Without women, I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. Plus, half my fans are women. If I hated women, so many women would not like me, nor should they. The people who think I hate women or call me misogynist are the ones who haven’t read or engaged my writing, and are just looking for a bogeyman to attack" (http://www.tuckermax.com/about/faq/)

Unfortunately, liking women (liking to screw them) and respecting women are entirely different entities. He could respect women without liking them but the stories about them and their pathetic existences are all about humor and marketability. If no one bought these stories or visited his website he still wouldn't respect women but he also wouldn't be lauded for his efforts to tell the world about what he can get them to do.

Free speech is free speech, you can't have it both ways.

This is one of those times when I wish (at least a little bit) that you could.

Get your book, face or breasts (not in the store of course but I'm sure you could work something out with Max) signed tomorrow at 2:00pm at Porter Square Books, 25 White St. Cambridge Ma. 02143.

No comments:

Post a Comment